24 March 2011

Chris Isaak does Sydney's State Theatre, by Eva Rinaldi - 23rd March 2011

Sydney has enjoyed the musical and vocal talents of many a male performing artist as of late - Michael Buble, Lionel Ritchie and Usher included, but Chris Isaak can stand strong knowing within that he doesn't have to play second fiddle as far as talent is concerned... even though he is not as big of a name.

Isaak signed a contract to Warner Bros. Records in 1984 for his virgin album Silvertone. The tracks 'Gone Ridin' and 'Livin' for Your Lover', from this album, were featured in David Lynch's classic movie Blue Velvet. Isaak's second self-titled album Chris Isaak was shot by fashion photographer Bruce Weber. Isaak's contract was renewed in 1988 when Warner Bros. shifted him to their Reprise Records label.

'Wicked Game' is his best known song by a country mile. Though released on the 1989 album Heart Shaped World, an instrumental version of the song was later featured in the 1990 David Lynch film 'Wild at Heart'. Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who was smitten with Lynch films, began playing the vocal version and it quickly became the station's most-requested number. Chesnut spread the word to other radio stations around America and the single became a US Top 10 hit in February 1991.

Take the time machine 10 years plus from then, and Isaak is still wowing them.

Isaak mesmerised the State Theatre tonight in a fashion rarely seen.

He knows how to intimately engage with the audience (and my camera) - lucky me... and lucky him. My camera loved his fashion sense too. Where did you get that sparkly shirt Chris? I loved it and want one for my man.

You would have to go a long way to find as hard-working and talented singer as Isaak. No one in the audience will ever forget his performance and will be looking forward to experiencing his magic again.

I just loved his seductively beautiful 'Wicked Game' which made me think of the music genius of Roy Orbison. His voice live is as good as a CD bought off the shelves.

My personal favorite songs were 'Wicked Game' and 'I Want You To Love Me'.

I also wanted to publicity thank the kind and talented journalist who spotted me at tonight's performance. It was nice to also have another journalist assist me, as opposed to having to endure more elbows in the ribs, taunts and gibes by other photographers, shooters, paps or whatever they want to call themselves. I just wish all media types were as nice and as generous as the journo I met tonight, and the one whose always assists me behind closed doors, out of the pubic spotlight - you know who you are.

We only got to stay for three numbers tonight, due to enforced news media regulations, but I still feel immensely blessed to have experienced his gift live.

Websites

Chris Isaak

State Theatre

Eva Rinaldi Flickr

Eva Rinaldi Photography