26 September 2011

Hugh Jackman: Didn't break WWE wrestler's jaw?, by Greg Tingle


Hugh Jackman aka "Wolverine" admits that he punched a professional wrestler full on, but is sticking to his guns that he didn't break his jaw.

So, did he, or didn't he? That's the million dollar question.

The Australian acting legend attended a WWE pro wrestling event on U.S soil September 19 to help promote his upcoming boxing film Real Steel. A special guest of honour, Jackman was able to hang out in hip wrestler Zack Ryder's corner. Zack is known for his trademark Woo Woo Woo!, not to be confused with Ric Flair's Woooooo!

At one point during the match, Jackman ran over to Dolph Ziggler's corner, Ryder's opponent. Jackman and Ziggler sledged each other and Ziggler received a pretty clean punch to the jaw by the actor quickly thereafter.

Jackman was also pissed that Ziggler had earlier called him the wrong superhero name "Batman".

"I hit him," Jackman told Entertainment Weekly.

"[Dolph] said, 'Hit me as hard as you can.' So I hit him pretty hard. And you can see it in my eyes. I watched [the clip] again, and you can see me going 'Uh oh' a little. I'm acting like, 'Yeah!' but I'm really like, 'S***, I kinda really clocked him in the jaw'."

Jackman insists that he didn't mean to whack Ziggler with so much force. Ziggler tweeted soon after the incident with claims that Jackman put a hairline fracture in his jaw.

"It was scripted that I would go for that punch," Jackman explained.

"But just before we went on, Dolph was yelling at me, 'You hit me man! Just f***ing hit me!' During rehearsal I said, 'I'd like to do it, but I've spent 20 years pulling punches, trying not to hit. Trying to make it look real, but not really hit.'

"He said, 'There's no way. There's cameras everywhere, there's crowd everywhere, there's no way we can 'whiff it', as they call it'."

Jackman is pretty convinced that Ziggler may be embellishing the extent of his injury at least a little.

"The next day I read he really broke his jaw and I wasn't surprised - but I don't think he did," Jackman said.

"He's prone to exaggeration - which is why I hit him! Nah, just kidding!"

No word yet if Vince McMahon's WWE will have Jackman back in the squared circle, but we suspect it would be a high "Hell Yeah" to use language from wrestling legend "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, set to hit the ring again at showcase event WrestleMania.

A Media Man insider was overheard "Jackman, Ziggler, Ryder, McMahon and the WWE machine. Looks like a win - win - win".

Website Network

Media Man Int

Media Man

Media Man News